Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wear It Wednesday

Each Wednesday, I go through my wardrobe and try again to make something work for me that is rarely, if ever, worn.



If I can't make the item work for me... out it goes. I have a shopping bag in my closet to which I add those things that never seem quite right. The shopping bag goes to the local Women's Shelter this time. (I rotate donations to a different charity each time.) If you decide to follow my example in paring down your closet to only what you really wear, please remember that underwear, shoes, and jewelry, as well as bags, can make a world of difference to a woman who is starting over after an abusive relationship. She needs clothes for interviews and work, so white blouses and dark slacks or skirts are always needed.

Let's start with this white blouse. I bought it at the big Dillard's haul earlier this spring. I have never worn it because it has a ruffle with a facing that never stays where it should. It was such a low clearance price I couldn't resist, but buying something you never wear is not a good deal.

Then there are those navy slacks I bought at Talbot's a couple of years ago. One leg is a bit tighter than the other in the calf, so I always feel lopsided when I wear them. Someone with normal calves would never notice this, but my calves are ample. 

These slingback shoes have rarely seen the light of day, but they worked with this look today. 

I will keep the blouse for now, but the shoes and the pants are on their way out.

16 comments:

auroeta art gallery said...

I love this shoes.. they are awesome!

SBencomo said...

Looks great...but with all that you said, are you keeping these items?

Graça said...

I've been learning a lot with you! It's very difficult for me to let go of old clothes but this is a very good idea and I'm going to try it.

Pauline said...

What a great idea. Making room for new clothes and giving to charity! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have that same blouse and I don't wear it often because white up next to my face isn't the best but there are times
you just need a good white blouse and if it fits well then you are right to hang on to it to see if it does become a staple in your closet.

Anonymous said...

You always look so stunning, and I follow your blog a lot. I've learned a lot, also. However, if you'll forgive me, I don't care for that blouse. The ruffles don't flatter your beautiful face and the white makes you look pale. Sorry, Susan. But otherwise, you always look fabulous!!!

Cindy said...

I do the exact same thing; keep a bag in my closet for donations. I go past a drive - through drop off for Goodwill when I get my hair cut. So the bag goes with me to my monthly hair appointments. I just cannot wear anything that does not feel or fit right either!

Jordan said...

Did you decide to keep the silver jewelry?

Do you use the same criteria for getting rid of jewelry? I ask because there are some pieces you get to wear with one outfit only and that outfit might be your 'go to' outfit for interviews or more formal and/or business affairs. Or maybe it's just me. lol!

badmadmama said...

You are so tiny, and most of your clothing is so sleek, but that blouse makes you look heavier. I would dump it and get something more tailored.

urbanite said...

Out with the blouse! Do not save it. It is much to big for you. Your initial instinct to chuck it was correct. It's a little too fussy for your new, sleek style.

Terri said...

Take the blouse to a shop that does alterations. I'm quite sure they fix that pesky facing for you.

Curious why the shoes are going?

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Hi Susan, I like the blouse, but somehow I only see it under a tailored jacket. I am beginning to discover that if I hesitate too long, it really needs to go in the donation barrel because I am just not going to wear it that much. (It would look great in the winter with a velvet jacket!)

Anonymous said...

Lose the blouse ..

RoseAG said...

A little pressing and a pin or tack stitch should hold that facing down. It will be a nice layer under a sweater or jacket.

FrazzledMom said...

Hey Susan. I am not yet 50, but I love your style. Good taste is timeless. I am going back to working in a professional office 2 days a week as a paralegal. After 13 years of being at home, I find my wardrobe is seriously lacking. Most of the ladies in the office wear dress slacks and a nice top. Can you tell me a few key pieces I should get to look professional. I don't want to break the bank and I don't like my knees (no short skirts) or my tummy area. I am a size 12-14, so I have some camouflaging to do. We live in the Deep South, so light fabrics are good. I looked through your Polyvore collection and didn't see anything like a "basic work" collection. What do you suggest?

Susan said...

Dear FrazzledMom, My suggestion for a warm weather work wardrobe would be light weight separates in a core group of colors that you can mix and match and brighten up with accessories. Navy, white and khaki might be a good group of colors to start with. You can always add red as an accent. The shape of the pants should be slim and the tops should be a bit longer and flowing. (Never fitted or short) Take a look at my summer 2013 suggestions on Polyvore for some more ideas that might work for you. I wish you great success! Susan