Monday, July 11, 2016

Classic Elegance




When I look at old photos, I try to figure out what stands the test of time. If the picture was taken in 1958, but you don't say "ugh!" when you look at it, it might be that the woman is wearing a simple, classic style that will always look appropriate.



I gravitate to clothes that don't represent a particular era or trend. The flowing tunic from Chico's is a couple of years old, and I have worn it on many hot summer days. I always feel elegant yet comfortable.

A striped shirt with white pants has been a great summer look for decades. My white skinny jeans paired with a long flowing blue and white striped top looks current, but Jackie Kennedy might have worn a similar look while on holiday at Hyannis Port many decades ago.




Elegance is defined as being graceful and attractive in appearance or behavior. To be described as an elegant woman is indeed a compliment.


The Alberta Di Canio bag was made in Italy; I bought it last year on sale at T.J.Maxx. It is a classic style of high quality, which means I can enjoy it for many years to come. The white skinny jeans are from Ann Taylor. The sandals are a couple of years old by Jessica Simpson, and they are so comfortable I wish I had bought two pairs! The cuff and crystal hoop earrings are old as well.  The sunglasses are by Balmain via Saks Off 5th. Classics stand the test of time.

Elegant style includes knowing what is attractive to your body shape and what fits your lifestyle. I never pretend to be a style expert, but I freely share what works for me as an inspiration to discover what works well for you, your body shape, and your lifestyle.  There really isn't a one size fits all when it comes to style. Celebrate all the wonderful things that make you unique!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You define elegant to me Susan. I like your blog for the main reason that you show wearing clothes that while not trendy, stand the test of time. Simple but stylish, I like that look! Just keep on being you.

Unknown said...

Susan, I enjoy your posts so much- elegance, loveliness, and timelessness are so typical of you and I want to emulate that.
Thank you for sharing and inspiring, particularly as these times are stormy in way too many ways.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
My name is Jayne. I am 52 and live in the north west of the UK. I,m glad to read that you are getting over your recent bout of bad weather. We are not having the best of summers here in the UK. It is raining heavily today, as it has been for the last 3/4 weeks! I am so envious of your lovely weather.
I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I really do admire your style. I particularly like the way in which you put your outfits together, using a similar "base" each time. It is interesting to see where you purchase your clothes. I particularly like Covered Perfectly. I don't think the brand is available here, which is a pity. I like the concept of layering, and you are fortunate that you do not have to change your core items of clothing too dramatically through the seasons. We in the UK usually have to add much heavier layers in our Winter. I also love your shoes! I can't wear such high shoes these days. Plus, I am a teacher, so, as you can imagine my feet would not thank me for choosing to wear too high a heel.
i just thought that I would introduce myself. I, together with my husband and two daughters, will be visiting the USA this summer on a very brief stop over en route to St Lucia. We will be stopping over in Atlanta, so you never know, I may have time to explore some of the shops!

Susan said...

Hi Jayne! The owner and designer of the Covered Perfectly tops is from Essex in the UK. She will be happy to ship to you!

Canuck-Girl said...

Good morning Susan. So glad to see you are still wearing this pretty top. I have always liked it on you and wish I were taller so I could carry this look off!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan!

I just love reading your blog. Your style is exactly the way I like to dress! Your picks as far as tops and bottoms are fabulous! I got so tickled when my fiance gave me a new top, from an antique store whose tops I love, and it turned out to be a Clara Sun Woo! I was so excited! When I first felt it I was worried it would cling to me. But, when I tried it on it is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your style with us all!

Lisa in Fort Worth

Unknown said...

I love this look, too. Very fresh and elegant! We are vacationing in Duck NC with lot's of sunshine and warm weather. We visited the UK for a week during the Brexit vote, The weather was beautiful in the Southern Lake District. I like to use your advice for wardrobe selections as you always look at things from the view point of what is most flattering for our own shape. I tend to stay with those items that follow your tips for not making me look too round in the body or face!