Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Styling Secret

Do you dress to hide your tummy every day?


Since my teens, my weight has gone up and down with every crazy diet ever presented. I wish I had realized earlier that diets are designed to fail. If you are not going to change your eating habits forever, all the weight will come back and will likely add more pounds when it returns.

All that losing and gaining weight has created areas that will never be taut again, no matter how much I exercise. For most of my adult life, I have dressed to conceal my midsection.


Thankfully, my weight has remained about the same for the last five years after permanently changing my food choice. That means I have been able to invest in many different clothing styles and enjoy wearing them with confidence. In the past, there was always that question in the back of my mind, "Will I even be able to zip this in six months?"


We recently enjoyed an excellent evening meal at Rowland's located inside the Westglow Mansion in Blowing Rock, North Carolina.














As soon as I previewed the photos we snapped before we began our trip, I knew I had to go back and put on my secret styling weapon.

Before

After

The foundation I am wearing in the after the photo is by Maidenform from Macy's.



Each time I model or wear anything that shows my shape, I wear this support garment. It helps with my posture and smooths the middle line in front and back without giving me an oddly shaped bustline.

The bra pictured below from Soma is the best fitting bra I have ever worn.




The necklace and tank top are old from Chico's. The Balmain sunglasses and cardigan are from Sak's Off 5th. The silver clutch is old from T.J.Maxx. The side-zip white pants were supplied by Fabrizio Gianni last year. The Gianni Bini sandals are from Dillard's.



13 comments:

Unknown said...

What kind of bra have you found that has no "show through" but is not overly padded?

Susan said...

https://www.soma.com/store/product/full-coverage-bra/570116950?rootReferringURL=&expanded=true&color=&catId=null&fromSearch=null&undefined

thepoutingpensioner said...

Each time I see you in that blue, I can understand why it's your go-to colour. It's you! BTW, that scenery is amazing.

Anne S. (bizybee65) said...

I definitely need pieces to control the tummy, I've had 2 babies, plus 2 major surgeries for crohn's disease over the past 30 years...kills the stomach muscles!
Is that foundation piece "ladies room" friendly, you know what I mean? thanks so much for all your style advice, you're my fashion icon! --Anne

Missy said...

Is the foundation/ slimmer hot in summer weather? Thank you for the bra recommendation. I am wondering if Dillard's carries this brand? You look beautiful in that shade of blue. Would you wear your white capris with the back slits as an option?

mao said...

What size foundation garment are you wearing? I am close in height and weight and age, too!!

Unknown said...

What a timely post. I'm shopping for that very thing today. I've been looking for Spanx in that style but can't find it. Good to know about the Maiden Form. I love my Soma bras. That was due to a tip you gave earlier. By the way, you look beautiful in that color blue.

Susan said...

I am wearing a size medium. Those bras are only available from Soma.com.

Susan said...

The foundation is OK in summer weather but it isn't too hot here. There are hooks near the front of the crotch so I have no problem with wearing this one all day long.

Kristien62 said...

I didn't notice the green python trimming on your shoes until I got to the last picture. Love it!

We had a Soma open in Syracuse this year. I usually go to Soma when I visit my son in Massachusetts, because I didn't know we had one closer. Since going, I have been replacing panties and bras bit by bit. I had a fitting at Soma and am thrilled with their line.

Kristien62 said...

And I almost forgot, Soma did have a program where gently used bras could be brought in and donated- which I did. Don't know if the program is still running. It was last summer when I donated about 4 really nice bras that were simply uncomfortable.

Ducksoup said...

I couldn't agree more with the Maidenform support garments - I've been wearing them for years and almost feel "naked" without them. I don't use the full-body garment that you do - I use one that ends at mid-hip so is more like a long undershirt - no issues with using the loo. It is easy to find here in the UK, but not sure about the US. I tuck the bottom into my underwear to stop it rolling up. I think it is essential to find a piece that lets you wear your own bra - everyone's bra size is so individual, and full-body suits just tend to squish everything.

Love your blog!

Kathryn51 said...

Great post - very helpful. Loves those shoes!!