Thursday, February 14, 2013

Wearing Black

Do you reach for black as if on automatic pilot when getting dressed?



This photo was taken a couple of years before I lost forty pounds. We won't even talk about that hair! I guess I thought a bit of height would make my round face look less so.

For several years, I dressed in flowing layers of black. I wore a lot of V-Neck tops with jackets and pants. It was a uniform for me, but I always wore dramatic jewelry such as this necklace, one of my own designs.

The reasons I wore black were only partially because of my size. Now that I look back on that time, there was a much deeper reason for it. Perhaps I felt I could be less visible in black.

Our self-image is reflected in what we wear. It's our flag to the world that says, "This is me, and this is how I'm feeling today."

I don't pretend to be a Psychologist, but I know I have had sadness issues for many years. Wearing black is a sign of mourning in many cultures. I suppose I was in mourning for twenty years, but I won't bore you with that story again.




After losing forty pounds, I branched out into wearing wild colors such as white and gray. I'm kidding! It was tough for me to stop reaching for black as I was shopping for a new wardrobe after the weight came off.

As we age, our coloring softens, and shadows appear near the corners of our eyes and around the nose. When we wear black near our face, it accentuates these shadows, and some of us look older and more tired. This is also very true if you color your hair all one dark color or wear a lot of black eyeliner all the way around your eyes. It can be a very harsh effect.




The lighting in my breakfast nook is not the best, but even here, you can see that color near the face makes me look younger, happier, and healthier. I am much happier and healthier! The picture above was taken last night, and the other two were taken a few years ago. It was a rainy day, so I did wear black pants and boots. I always wear dark pants on rainy days because the little water spots from walking can permanently stain lighter colored pants.

I love to wear black, but it isn't for everyone for the reasons I mentioned above. I still wear black often, but I add a statement necklace or a scarf with white, red, or royal blue.


6 comments:

mel said...

Very interesting! I live near NYC so black is my go-to color. I will have to try colors - especially as I am now on my own weight loss journey.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Susan, you look so vibrant and joyful in color! You are another woman holding high the banner of reinvention after 50...it is possible and it is fun! Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Susan, sending a heartfelt hug on this Valentine Day! Just recently discovered your blog and I'm greedily devouring your past posts and Polyvore outfits. I've been on a self-search fashion-wise since my retirement 5 years ago and I'm so happy to have finally found your approach which really resonates with me. I would like very much to have navy as my dark neutral but it is so difficult to find, especially in fall/winter in fabrications and accessories such as shoes/boots. I have almost decided to just embrace the black, now that I've let my hair go gray. Must remember to keep colour near my face as you do, however. You look so lovely! Nancy Up North

gracefully50 said...

Susan,
Maybe you didn't feel it, but you were still very beautiful in previous pics.
I'm afraid black is my go to color still. Always have been and I'm not sure I can change. I def. have more colors in my closet but I catch myself going for black every morning. You do look more vibrant & happy in colors. I should remember this. :)
Happy Valentine's Day to you and hubby!

Lori Draper said...

Susan, I think that you look wonderful! You looked lovely in the earlier pic, but WOW! You look GREAT in the lastest picture. I vowed off of black (except for a few pants) about a year ago. Now I have to THINK about what I put on in the morning! Thanks for the inspiration!
Lori

Kathleen said...

You look so much more alive in color. Great choice of colors as well!