Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wear It Wednesday - Choices

A few years ago, I was about fifty pounds over my ideal weight, and I was ill quite often. My fashion choices were plunging into the depths of frumpy old lady styles. I had given away all of my jeans and cool shoes because I was convinced I should start dressing in a more mature style.


A print knit top with ugly khaki slacks and a strange summer weight scarf to top it all off was my look for our tour of the Barnsley Garden ruins in the early spring of 2010. Check out those sensible shoes.

In 2011 I read the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It gave me the information I needed to help me make healthier choices at mealtime. 

Over the next few months, I lost more than forty pounds and found my confidence again. My health improved dramatically. I returned to wearing my lifelong favorites, including jeans and solids in neutral colors. I now have many styles and colors of jeans and wear them with attractive shoes almost every day. I am honoring my true self.


The top photo was taken when I was four years younger, but the extra weight and clothing style makes me appear ten to fifteen years older.

The choices we make at every meal, and each time we get dressed, reflect our self-image. Your clothing selection is silent communication with those who see you, but those clothes also send messages to your inner self. Each time I saw myself in a picture or caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror during that earlier time, I was filled with self-loathing. My inner voice would always say, "What has happened to you?" 

It makes a monumental difference when I am at or near my ideal weight and wear clothes that feel comfortable. Not just comfortable on my body but also clothes that reflect who I really am. I grew up on a farm in western North Carolina, so I was always a bit of a tomboy. Floral prints, dresses, and ruffles are entirely against my nature.

The moral of this post is, wear what makes you feel comfortable. Wear what reflects your true self. Don't try to fit anyone's perception of what is right for you. Be your best self, and celebrate who you truly are every day.

The black jacket, white tank, and jeans are from Chico's. The belt is from T.J.Maxx. The shoes are by Nine West from Ross. The bag is from Finely House Couture in Blowing Rock, NC.

8 comments:

Jillian said...

Thanks again Susan, You look terrific and most importantly you are a nice person. I agree with you about the second 50 years being the best, and being true to one's self becomes much easier I believe.

Love your posts, we are going into summer here and I am buying the white jeans!!

Cheers Jill

Dianna said...

"Don't try to fit anyone's perception of what is right for you."
That is GREAT advice. Since I began reading your blog, I find myself shopping and thinking: "Would Susan wear that?". But you and I are very different, so certain things you wear wouldn't work for me.
But you have made me pay more attention to the way I dress. Thanks!

MyLeftBreast said...

You are so inspiring, Susan! I know exactly what you mean, I think it's important to look and feel the way you see yourself, and our age doesn't have to force us into looking like we've given up on how we present ourselves to the world. You go girl!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Well, you look amazing Susan...you are a great testimony for whatever plan you have followed...and that Chicos black jacket is really fabulous. I have been on Jenny Craig...20 pounds down...and more to go...you just inspired me to carry on!!

Fabulous After 40 said...

WOW, What a difference Susan. You look so stylish and perky. Very inspirational!

meriusa said...

dear Susan
thank you for this wonderful post

Donna said...

You are an amazing woman. Such good advice. Age should not dictate how we dress.

Pepper 61 said...

Thank you so much for this post. The extra weight, self loathing and loss of confidence are things I can relate to. Thank you for making me see that I don't have to accept "it's only natural as you get older to gain weight". I dont like what my clothes are saying to my inner self. I love your style and your confidence shines thru every picture. You give me the inspiration to fight for myself and be true to myself and to find my inner shine again.