Saturday, March 31, 2012

Happier and Healthier


The person you see in the first photo is very unhealthy and unhappy with her body image on all levels. That's me in the Spring of 2011.


Spring 2011

Fast forward a year to the second photo. I lost more than forty pounds!

Spring 2012

I was about to outgrow size 12 pants in the first photo. In the second photo I'm comfortably wearing size 4 pants. 

In 2010 I averaged two migraines per week. I rarely have even a headache now and the inflammation of joints that caused pain with every movement is gone. The back ache that kept me from enjoying working in my flower gardens is gone. I no longer take medications of any kind. My lab test results are now perfect. 

Everyone who sees me for the first time in a few months is amazed at my transformation. The first question is "How did you lose so much weight so fast?" My answer is always "Read the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman" to learn what to eat and why.

I am happy to report that I have continued to maintain my weight for more than four years.


While doing research for the world's healthiest foods, I found that many of them were in what I have for breakfast every morning. This is a hot cereal breakfast that keeps me from thinking about food until late in the afternoon. I'm sharing the recipe along with my story in the hopes that I can inspire you to be a healthier happier more energetic person.





Susan's Power Porridge Breakfast

2 to 3 cups of Vanilla unsweetened Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon lentils (I add a teaspoon each of three colors)
1 Teaspoon fax seeds
1 Tablespoon Hemp Hearts
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
1 Tablespoon steel cut oats  
1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds and/or sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon natural raw walnuts
1 Tablespoon natural raw pecans
1 teaspoon of Red Star Nutritional Yeast (This is not brewers yeast.) It supplies B vitamins. 
1 Tablespoon unsweetened natural coconut flakes
4 Large dates (pits removed) cut in half
1 Tablespoon of organic Goji Berries 
1 Banana and/or other fresh fruit
Spices you might like to add include, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg or ground cloves. 

 (You may find these items on Amazon.com or Nuts.com if they are not available in your area.)

Heat almond milk to a gentle boil add lentils, then add grains, seeds and oats stir, turn down the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about fifteen minutes until the lentils are tender. You may need to add more almond milk to keep the consistency creamy.

Add the nuts and dried fruit, stir and cover to simmer only until the dried fruits have warmed. Cut fresh fruit to add on top. 

This recipe serves two or saves well or refrigerate to be reheated in the microwave covered by a wet paper towel for tomorrow morning. I reheat with more almond milk in a saucepan and add the cold porridge to simmer for a few minutes until it is warm.

Packed with high nutrition this breakfast will help you feel satisfied well into the afternoon.

It's been almost five years since I began this journey. I haven't had so much as a cold since I started eating this breakfast followed by a large vegetable loaded salad late in the day. I drink a lot of water and eat fresh in season fruits daily.

I still have deserts occasionally and I still have a glass of white wine with dinners out with Mr. Mickey a couple of  times a week.

Countless people have asked me how do you continue to keep the weight off? This is my secret!

 Susan Street is the President of VintageJewelrySupplies.com.
Post a Comment