Monday, December 7, 2015

The Progressive Dinner

The 38th annual Progressive Dinner was held in Jonesborough on Saturday evening. We have attended this event for several years and always enjoy seeing the unique old homes and having one course of our meal in each of them. We register at the Chester Inn Museum, where we are treated to warm cider.




The toast was presented by one of our favorite young men, Kelly Wolfe. He is the mayor of Jonesborough, and we just love him! He always makes us laugh.



There is live music at each location. Here at the Historic Eureka Inn, the music was provided by Eileen Collie. She is a student who will soon be leaving for college, where she will be studying engineering.



I am wearing a red turtleneck knit top with faux leather and Ponte pants from Chico's. The jacket is by French Connection via Saks Off 5th. The red leather gloves are from S.M. Bradford Co. on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I think I found the red scarf at Target. None of the items are new, but you can likely find something similar in your own closet or wherever you shop since most of my choices are fairly basic.








The music at the Panhorst/Floyd home was provided by Joseph Sobol.




Jonesborough is the oldest town in the state of Tennessee.




Students of the Harrington Music Studio provided the music for the main course at The McKinney Center at Booker T. Washington School.




We enjoyed dessert at the Oak Hill School, which is a one-room schoolhouse with a pot-bellied stove. The schoolhouse was still in use as recently as the 1950s. Wonderful holiday music was provided by The Jonesborough Novelty Band.



Mr. Mickey is back to looking like the dapper gent that he is. He enjoys this sing-along with bells more than anyone.



Thank you so much for your kind comments this week. We love sharing our lives with you, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

8 comments:

Jan Maier said...

This looks like SO MUCH fun. I love the history in these old towns. I've often passed the highway signs to Jonesborough but have never pulled off to visit. That will be on my list for he next road trip from CT to Nashville along with a visit to Johnson City to say hello to know who!!

Feedakie said...

You lead such an interesting life. And as always, you look so good. Keep writing to us. I really like to hear from you and see your beautiful pictures.

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing! I like the simple elegance of your black and red ensemble. Beautiful.

threads92 said...

Looks like a fun event! I had to look up Jonesborough though to see where it was and I see it is only 7 miles from Johnson City. I have a question regarding driving that area - You often drive from Johnson City to Asheville NC - is it one of those nerve racking drives through the mountains? I will be moving to Aiken SC next year which is about 4.5 hours south of Asheville and I'm hoping I can explore the area north of Asheville sometime, just not sure about the mountain driving. P.S. - I think it's so sweet that you and Mr. Mickey always coordinate when you attend these events!

Susan said...

The drive between Johnson City and Asheville on Highway 26 is one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. You may see black bears, turkeys, deer and other wildlife, but the views of seemingly endless mountain ranges are breathtaking. It is an easy to drive modern scenic highway not one of those crazy winding roads through the mountains. I know those well!

threads92 said...

Thanks Susan, I'm so relieved! I have driven from Madison WI to Atlanta GA many times and the decline around Chattanooga completely unnerves me. Once I retire in Aiken I'll no longer have to make that trip.....so excited to be able to see your side of Tennessee and actually enjoy it! Have a happy day!

Ann said...

What a lovely event! Thanks for sharing...

KimM said...

WOW!! You look so stunning! Thank you for the continued inspiration.
xxx