Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tank Tops to the Rescue

An essential element in many of my looks includes simple tops as a first layer.

Tank tops come in all shapes and types of fabrics. Knit ones with a bit of spandex are great for the smooth line they allow. If the tank top is made from a soft tee shirt knit, the next layer will almost always drag across it rather than flow smoothly, so they are better worn with heavier fabrics like denim.

 
 

Tank #1 has tiny straps adjusted to allow you to move the neckline lower or higher. This is a great tank to serve as a modesty layer only for cleavage control and a foundation to give you a smooth back under jackets and cardigans. 

Tank #2 has wider straps and ruching detail at the neckline for a bit of softness. It can be used as a relief layer when your top layer becomes too warm. It covers enough to still be attractive when worn alone while your "private summer" passes.

Tank #3 is a lace number that should be made from silk or rayon, or nylon so that it is soft and smooth under dressy jackets and knit cardigans with ornate buttons (think Chanel style knits.) This one has a warm glow of cream white, which looks soft and feminine in candlelight.

Tank #4 is a soft tee shirt material worn under denim shirts or sporty knit jackets.

Tank #5 hugs your shape and gives you a smoother body under thin jackets and sweaters.

Tank #6 is my necessary cream color tank when white is just too bright, as in the photo below. (I now make sure I pack my cream tank when I take this sweater for a weekend get-away.)

 
I'm wearing a thin knit cardigan with fringe detail and a silky smooth tank (which should have been cream colored) underneath.

 
This is an Austin Reed navy blazer that has a low V-front closure. I always wear it with a white tank and either a scarf or a necklace when we go out to dinner.

 
Here's another outfit, including a silky white tank and the navy Austin Reed blazer.

The black and white jacket needs just a bit of modesty at the neckline, so I'm wearing tank #1 here.

 
There is a white silky tank #5 under the thin gray bomber style jacket.


Tank #4 is under a quilted knit casual jacket worn with dark wash denim and comfy luggage tan booties for a recent trip to the mountains.

Thank you for reading! I hope these tips help you expand your wardrobe and have fun creating different layered outfits with the essential white tank top.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I actually have all but the fitted one. Where I live though, I can't wear a layer on top-I've tried but its just too dang hot. So I wear my tanks alone for now. Looking forward to wearing a sweater or blazer on top!
Great post.

Susan said...

Thank you for your kind feedback Laura!

Beetique said...

Look like I had better buy some more tanks. I like wearing jackets now. I think you wear them more when you get in your 50's!

Susan said...

I agree Beetique! I feel so much more confident and attractive when I wear a jacket.

Angelique said...

I have style #2 in a nice soft polyester/rayon blend in several colors. I rarely wear just a tank top alone, I always wear an open button down shirt over it. Perfect for summer. In the winter I sometimes wear one under a sweater or long sleeved top for an extra layer of warmth. Very versatile piece of clothing. Great article!

Susan said...

Thank you so much for the feedback and your comments Angelique.

Genuine Lustre said...

I love a tank top - I just don't like sweating on my jackets and sweaters.